Friday, March 14, 2008

Who is Don Hill?

Hi!

My name is Don Hill, and I’m an internet marketer.

[Support Group]: Hiiiii Donnnn!

Seriously, when you make an admission like that in public these days, some people look at you like you’ve acquired some sort of social disease – they begin to fidget uncomfortably, their eyes start furtively glancing around looking for an escape route, and they suddenly remember that they have to be somewhere else right away – “...in fact, holy cow! I’m LATE!”

[sound of door slamming, nearly hitting them in the butt as they leave]

I can’t say I really blame them. There are so many people running around claiming to be internet marketers these days who don’t know anything at all about the internet, or about marketing either for that matter. And they seem to make it a point to demonstrate it every possible chance they can get.

Spam emails addressed to somebody named %%firstname_fix%%, websites with pictures of stacks of $100 bills, sports cars, luxury liners, and that disgustingly-perfect-looking young couple strolling hand-in-hand on a tropical beach with palm trees and a deep blue ocean in the background.

They have their "super mega powerline cyclers with downline doublers and matching bonuses." Theirs is always “the best” program, and you have to want to keep being poor to not want to sign right up and "make millions sitting at your kitchen table in your pajamas on the beach (after all, that handsome couple will be strolling by soon, and they’re soooo lonely!)."

Like some comedians and radio talk show hosts, I think the best way to illustrate absurdity is by being absurd myself. But I have to be careful about that, because some people out there don’t seem to recognize when you’re for real, or if you’re in one of your “absurd” phases. Hopefully, after we get to know each other a little better, you’ll know which is which.

Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, it’s time to address the title of this blog: “Ask Don Hill Anything.” I thought for quite a while about what to name this blog, and I think that title is probably the most appropriate. People are always asking me about things anyway – why should my blog be any different?

Now I want to make it clear that I don’t claim to be a font of wisdom about anything. I know a lot about some things, I know some about a lot of things, and I know a little about even more things. But I don’t know everything about everything, so don’t expect miracles from me, okay?

I was fortunate when I was growing up to have a very wonderful teacher who was able to instill the desire to learn in me. And what I’ve learned in my 53 years (and still counting) on this dust speck in the center of our universe, is that answers to just about anything can be found if you know where to look for them.

If there’s anything resembling a “secret” to life, I think that’s probably it.

You don’t have to know all of the answers to life’s questions – you just need to know where to find them if you really want to know them bad enough.

Sometimes answers come easy, and sometimes it takes a lifetime. The real benefit comes from the quest itself – and all of the “extra” things you end up learning in the whole process. My mind is just chock full of information – and some of it even comes in handy once in a while!

But be careful! It's easy to get side-tracked!

In my experience, just about every answer you find can raise up a whole new series of questions, and it can become a very complex and somewhat overwhelming process very quickly if you’re not used to dealing with it. Focus is important in the process, because it’s easy to become distracted by all of the new questions, and lose the value of the original answer. I often hear people complain about “information overload” in the industry. If you lack the necessary focus and determination it can be very easy to become overwhelmed by it all. But we'll get into that another time.

So go ahead and ask away! While I’ll probably be posting a lot of material about internet marketing, don’t feel confined to that in your comments to my posts. If I don’t know the answer (or where I think you might want to look to find it) I’ll just tell you outright. I’ll give it a shot though.

And be sure to sign up for my notification list over there in the sidebar. When I find an answer that I think would be helpful to a lot of people, I send it out to my list. I find a lot of good free things, and the ones that aren't free are worth the asking price or I won't recommend them. There's a lot of expensive "junk" out there. Everything I recommend I use myself.

That extends to the latest trends and developments in internet marketing as well. We are in the midst of a vast change in the dynamics of the internet and how people use it. Those who understand where things are going will be able to follow them and get the greatest benefit from them.

Thanks for reading - more soon...

No comments: